Should the mould in your attic be ignored? Yes, mould is commonly found in our attics here on the wet coast. This is due to our climate, combined with faulty ventilation in the attic or leaks in the roof. Mould is so common that it is often not recognized or disregarded, particularly in the summer when it becomes dormant and is grey in colour.
Yes, it is common, but should it be ignored? We receive many calls from new homeowners who report their disappointment that the mould in their attic was not addressed at the time of purchase.
Opinions differ as to whether or not the mould spores in an attic spread into your home due to vapour pressure. In other words, when you open and close doors, does the vapour pressure move the spores out of your attic and into your living area?
I guess the question is, would you be comfortable living in a home with mould in your attic?
Health Canada advises that high concentrations of airborne mould spores may have a number of adverse health effects. These include eye, nose, and throat irritation; coughing and phlegm build-up; wheezing and shortness of breath; and allergic reactions. Some studies show that mould may also affect your immune system.
Attic sheeting should be the caramel wood colour of osb or plywood – it should not be white, black or grey.
There are many processes available to remove mould. Encapsulation is a common one but not recommended by CMHC or the Canadian Construction Association.
You can spray mould with a biocide to kill it (render it non-viable) however it does not remove the mould discolouration or staining. There is no test that will determine if the mould left behind is dead (non-viable) or alive (viable).
In our opinion, the best process for mould remediation is complete removal and we can remove it in just one day.Roy Piper