Common Causes of Mold
Mold spores can be found everywhere in the air outside as well as inside—they can be carried in on our clothes, on our pets, or through open windows. However, mold needs specific conditions to grow—moisture and lack of airflow are major contributors to growth. These conditions can occur if your home has inadequate/improper fans and venting or if your home is not properly insulated.
Frequently, bathroom or kitchen fans are not properly connected or vented. This will allow conditioned air (warmed air) to enter the attic and condense on the roof sheeting. Once it has condensed, water is present, and mold grows quickly throughout the attic space.
Improper insulation includes:
- low or inconsistent insulation throughout your attic (not installed up to code)
- Insulation that is packed too tight in the soffits without korovents (baffles) to allow for airflow
- Venting that is not properly wrapped
Cold areas in the attic will need to be topped up with insulation to prevent mold from growing on the interior ceilings at these areas. The same is true for cold spots on exterior walls. The attic should be brought up to the current R value (to code) for your area to ensure that no stacking effect (warm air heating through the ceiling) will take place in the attic.
To help determine the cause of your mold, contact us today.
This is not mold. This is efflorescence on concrete. It is caused by water intrusion. It can be a sign of poor drainage around your foundation or lack of proper sealant.
A common cause of mold in your attic. This photo shows a dislodged bathroom vent, venting into the attic.
Want to Know More?
If you cannot see your mold but you have a musty or earthy smell or family members have been suffering from respiratory issues - we suggest starting with a home humidity & mold inspection and possibly air quality testing to test for allergens. Click Here for more information on a home inspection.
Health Canada advises that high concentrations of airborne mold spores may have a number of adverse health effects. These include eye, nose, and throat irritation; coughing and phlegm build-up; wheezing and shortness of breath; and allergic reactions. Some studies show that mold may also affect your immune system.
Mold is often discovered by a building inspector during the sale process. Buyers, insurance companies, and finance companies will often require that the mold professionally remediated. So if you want that quick sale - let us turn your mold into Sold!
Once mold has been identified in your home, isolating the type or measuring the spore count does not change the procedures for mold removal. Mold will actually ‘eat’ the structure of your home. It will reduce the value of your property. We can remove the mold in your home often in less than a day.
Take care of your family, find out about our mold removal processes and call us today.
Temperature and humidity are major factors that will contribute to mold growth. Relative Humidity (RH) will depend on your location and will change with the seasons.
There are various methods frequently used to remove mould—sandblasting or soda blasting, encapsulation, or applying one of the many products available at your local hardware store—they are not all the same nor are they equally effective.
Comox ValleyCampbell RiverParksville / Qualicum / Powell RiverYou may not always see signs of mold, but you may detect a musty or dank odour in a specific room or area. You may consistently feel unwell or have frequent cold symptoms, which then go away when you stay...